A place to have fun.
Owner and founder Kirbie Dispain had previously worked at Meadowlark Books, and when they decided to close, she moved into a space in another bookstore. But the space was small, and she outgrew it pretty fast, so she was motivated to find a new place…and found it.
“It all just fell in my lap to where we were able to move in here,” she said. “My mom helped a ton; my sister has been amazing, my husband and kids…I’ve had really amazing friends that have helped. We weren’t going to move until June, but then we had to move earlier, so everyone was amazing to come together and help me. It’s been wonderful, and honestly like a blessing that we had to move faster, because I don’t think it would have turned out exactly how I wanted it if I didn’t have that extra time to make it even more special.”
More than just books…
Kirbie has always loved books, and knew exactly what she wanted. “I was a librarian for seven years; it’s something I just absolutely love,” she said. “My mom was a librarian, I was a librarian. It was just the next thing, and I wanted to be able to have a space…not just with books, but to do community things. We have more than just books because you know, not everyone reads. So I wanted a place for local makers to do their stuff, too. We have a lot of local people and we have their merchandise here, so it just grows into something even more.”
A visionary with her community in mind, Kirbie created a place where people could "come in and just be,” she said. “You don’t have to come and buy a book. You can come and just sit; you can come and have lunch. I have people who will come in with their kids and they play in the back…I have kids, so I wanted it to be a place where you could bring them. Please, bring your kids! Let them play while you do your stuff.”
The back of the store for kids is called “The Tree House”, with three little rooms, one with a play kitchen, and others with books, toys and puzzles. There’s a small tent set up where kids can retreat, “so parents can come in and, instead of worrying about ‘don’t touch anything!’...the kids can just go and play.” Storytimes are on Saturdays at 9:30 a.m., before the store opens at 10:00 a.m.
The ‘Make-Your-Own' events that Forrest & Fawn hosts have been popular. They’ve hosted make-your-own bookmarks, flower pots, bookshelves, and will have a “Make Your Own Doormat” event coming up September 19. Kirbie had even hosted her own “Bling Your Own Book” birthday party at the store.
“I have people that make candles; I have people that make shirts, cups and hats. I have someone that just started her 3D printing and makes little books…we’re having a Midnight Release Party for a book that’s coming out at the end of the month that comes with an exclusive print…there are so many local creators in town, so I’ve always wanted that here.”
The shelves and displays in her store continue that storyline of supporting local makers and creators. Bookmarks, stickers, earrings, wristlets, mini-bookshelves, “Blind Date With A Book” for adults, “Surprise Stories” for kids…plus, that very spirit of giving back to the community is the reason for "The Giving Table". All of the books on the table are .25, and every month they pick a different group or organization to support.
“All the money from this table goes directly to the organization; I don’t keep anything,” Kirbie said. “People like to donate books, and sometimes they don’t take everything, so if they want to leave them for this table, they can.” So far, Forrest & Fawn has supported Boys and Girls Club, Wyoming Senior Citizens, and Americorps.
Magic on Main Street
With the holidays approaching, Kirbie said that Christmas is one of her favorites, “but I also love Halloween,” she said. “I love dressing up, so we’re definitely going to do a lot of fun things. For Christmas, I’m really excited for the displays in front. We’ll be doing a Christmas children’s sale, different holiday crafts, we’ll have Christmas-themed books in, kits and gift sets with a book and and something in it…we’ll have gift-wrapping available. Last minute? I got you. We’ll even wrap it for you. I think it will be really fun.”
When asked about having her business on Main Street, Kirbie said that it’s been really fun. She said that she loves the Fall Harvest Festival, where folks are all downtown and get to see all of the many makers and crafters. She remembered when Halloween was a big thing on Main Street, where kids and their parents could go into the local shops to trick-or-treat. “I miss that, because I just remember as a parent it was fun,” she said. “So I’m hoping that now that we’re seeing more businesses come in, we could do more of that.”
“I know that, in past years, downtown has really tried to re-thrive because we’ve had lots of different businesses here,” Kirbie continued. “So I was really excited to be downtown, and especially excited for this building because I love the windows…they’re really fun to do. It’s great to be downtown because people will walk by, or even stop and be like, “I saw your bookstore sign and I had to flip around and stop.” That’s been really fun to see, people just traveling through town and stopping. Fun to see and meet all the different people that just walk downtown, stopping at all the little shops. So I really like where I’m at…I hope I get to stay here for a long time.”
Forrest & Fawn Bookstore, located at 309 East Main Street. Open Monday through Saturday, 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Visit their Facebook page for updates, events and activities…you can join the fun, or come in and “just be” for a while!










No comments:
Post a Comment